Friday, August 10, 2018

So:

I spent the last long weekend on Fire Island with a bunch of queens who did nothing but obsess about where I'd hidden my coke.  It led to an argument that I think ended our relationship.  Regardless of how much I spent on groceries, and how hard I labored on grilling ribs, there remained only one thing that mattered to them: the coke in my car.

You see, I didn't want any coke I had on me to be apparent to any cop who might have pulled me over for any insignificant reason.  So I hid it in a place that I didn't think any cop would check.  And which, ironically, I, too, wasn't typically about to check.

So I forgot to check my coke and bring it to Fire Island.

I was in such a hurry, according to the ferry schedule, to get to Fire Island, that I only focused on the booze that I'd brought -- which I'd packed in my bags.

A hurry, mind you, that brought $100 worth of booze with me.

As soon as I arrived I was asked, "Where is your coke?"  When I told them that I'd forgotten it, I was immediately met with looks and comments that conveyed disappointment and downright accusations of lying about even having it on me.

Now, at this point I have to say, these looks and accusations did not come from everybody.  In fact, there were several people who seemed to understand where I was coming from. Especially when I refused to partake in the coke they were offering.  I was laying on the bed, watching them partake in it, refusing to take a sniff.

I thought that was the first, strongest indicator that I had none on me, and that I didn't want to do any.

The second indicator was when the dealer showed up.  I immediately bought a bag from her and gave it to the host.  At that point, I thought the host and I were square.

No.

Even after my having bought a bag for the host, and his having done it all, he proceeded to ask me, "When are you going back to your car?"

All weekend long.

Not to mention, he also consistently asked me to clean up the kitchen, "Because so-and-so was coming that day, and I don't want them to see it this way."

It should be mentioned here that his day-guests were not asked to pay anything toward the weekly rental.  In fact, whenever I suggested they might be responsible for a day fare, the host responded with, "I can't ask them for anything.  That would be impolite."

Hmm.  Impolite to ask an acquaintance or a stranger for a day fare -- but not impolite to impose upon a guest who had paid his/her way back in February in order to secure the place.  Impolite, as the coke dealer was actually there, on Fire Island, to ask the crowd, "Who wants some now that [s/he's] here to provide it?"

But it's completely polite to Jones upon the guest who's paid in advance, cooked for everyone, and cleaned up after everyone -- repeating over and over, "When are you gong back to your car?"

I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what it polite at this point.

Just what did I do wrong?










No comments: