Sunday, June 05, 2005

Me an' Billy Joe

{Editor’s Note: Hey, Kids! For a multi-dimensional experience available to you only through this fabulous medium called the Internet, you can click on any of these following links to accompany the prose you’re about to read! (Or not… Or not…)}

[Accopmaniment only: (Best to click it into another window altogether, to start the music before you start reading. If you can get the music to play while you read, you've accomplished the mission. Windows users, right click the link. When music begins, click onto previous window with blog text and let the games begin! Mac users, you should be smart enough to figure this out yourselves...)


And PS, PS: This one's 'sposed 'ta be in an American Southern Accent, not the Brogue of subsequent posts.]

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:9G5NO9c-BmsJ:users.cis.net/sammy/billyjoe.htm++%22Tallahatchie+%22&hl=en

Lyrics only:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:11qft-jvmMEJ:www.swopnet.com/music/ode_to_bj.html++%22ode+to+billy+joe%22&hl=en

More Lyrics:

http://www.geocities.com/odetobobbiegentry/lyric/lotbj.htm]


06/03/05:

Seems like me an’ Billly Joe McAllister’s got a lot in common. Mainly, that’d be today’s date.

See, June’s a funny time f’er me. Not funny Ha-Ha!, but funny strange. Funny strange ‘cuz it’s the time a’ year when I was born. Or should I say, done born… An’ there ain’t no time stranger than the time y’er bein’ born… Save, maybe, f’er the time y’er ‘bout ‘ta die…

But me an’ Billy Joe, y’see, we done both, th’ same time.

No, y’er right: I wa’n’t born June 3rd. But guess’d I did do that day? That’d be the very day in June, 2003, that I done touched down ‘n JFK – t’ start a new life in New York City. Now whaddya thinka that?

That Bill Joe, y’know – he w’an’t jus’ coverin’ up a pregnancy. He was coverin’ up his own self. His own damn bisexual, pregnancy-inducing self…

There’s so much more to pop culture than we can ever imagine. But why imagine? We’re too busy living it. When the music alarm went off this morning at 6:00am, and I heard the Classic Rock DJ announcing that today was, in fact, the anniversary of Billy Joe’s infamous transcendance, well – I jus’ couldn’t help but wonder why I felt such a connection. But now I wonder no more. Birth, death. Rebirth, redeath. Ain’t it all the same in th’ long run?

But y’all don’t need to worry ‘bout me throwing myself off no Tallahatchie Bridge. Jus’ bear’n mind: June’s a prime time f’er folks like me an’ good ol’ Billy Joe. It’s a prime time – f’er either makin’ it or losin’ it alt'gether…

An’ I done chose t’ make it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!
Here's to makin' it.
and:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HO-HO!
and happy NY anniversary!
big smooch
from
Susan (Woozin)

Anonymous said...

Gregster,

June 3 is my bday. It just get's stranger and stranger.