Friday, November 09, 2018

And So the Friendship Goes On

11/9/18

So no one's reading.  No one cares.  I thought so.

But it's been nice to process this shit in writing.  It was nice to see David Dedeaux at his party last week.

The party he held for his brother, Mark, who's a visual artist and who had a part in a group show last week.

Mark's a straight guy who used to live with David in NYC back in the Glory Days of gayness.  If there is such a thing.  Now he has a family in Mississippi, or Louisiana.  I don't know.  I can't keep up with those Southerners.

But he's a good guy, and his art apparently speaks for itself.

When it came time to visit Maria, I made sure David and I went together.  It's only a matter of two blocks, after all.  When we got there, David placed his order: "One, please."  Then Maria looked at me.  I said, "Three, please."

"Why so many?!" She asked me.  And it that moment, I got what had been going on.

I said, "Because I'm stocking up, and my neighbor wants some..."

They both looked at me like I was lying.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I know how sensitive this subject is for us.  But I need you to know, Mami, that I mean what I say."

There was a half-minute of silence. I looked at David.  David looked at me.  I looked at Maria.  Maria looked at David.  I kept looking at Maria.  Maria eventually looked at me, and gave me the three that I was asking for.

"We're friends again," I told her.  David laughed.

"OK," she said.

We sat around for about 20 minutes, catching up, until David said he needed to get back to his party.  And so back to the party we went.

No comments: