Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Poem of Ancient Recollection (In Not-So-Perfect Metre)

I've fought 'midst the soldiers of Mycenea.
I've fought 'gainst the soldiers of Rome --
I've fought 'midst m' brothers from Athens
All f'er th' sake o' callin' home, "Home."

An' since then,
War's repeated.
It's repeat'd itself
Through and through--

From Spartan,
To Roman,
To Red Coat
To Nazi:

Ain't no Enemy
I ain't ne'er seen,
Nor confronted,
'Nor murdered. All f'er you.

All f'er, among other things,
The sake o'callin' th' likes o'you, you --
A'n th' other likes like you
All of 'em, somehow, th' likes of y', too --

You who have stumbled
'Cross the remnants o'our past
You, who've rec'gnized, recognition
That'd better soon pass...


Oracles?
Lotus leaves?
Exotic Princesses from whose cunnilingus
We achieve higher consciousness?

Mantras?
Meditations?
Escapes from our duality?
Other forms of the drugs I continue to do daily?

There is not one den,
One lair,
One depth
Into which I haven't dwelt

There isn't one chakra
One soul
One echelon
Into which I han't sail't.

Call me Jason
Call me Isis
Call me Persephone
Call me mere Hell

But there isn't one soul you'll soon meet
Who doesn't know you so well.


--- G. ONeill, Nov 18, 2007

3 comments:

Chabalym said...

This is an original of yours? I shall have to take some time to think of it all and get back with you soon.

...I have been told by many teachers to speak now and think later, but unfortunatly I don't work well that way.

C U again soon.

Anonymous said...

I forgot my account info so today I am anonymous - which is appropo for a response to this poem.

I thought the metre was perfect - does that make me crazy or a little off kilter?

write more
-Allison/aka anonymous

Chabalym said...

Your poem makes me think. and think again. I'm thinking things again as I have so much recently...