Thursday, October 04, 2007

Fade to Black

So now it's happened. And this time around, I can't promise poetry.
I can't promise poetry because now, we have a few facts to establish.

Let me start by saying, I love and appreciate each and every one of you.
Each and every one of you who is either on my email list or not;
Who has received my emails or not;
And who has expressed any sort of response to said emails -- or not.

I am a very, very lucky human being.
Because I have many, many human beings who care enough about me to either
Reply to my emails or call whenever I make an announcement
The likes of which I have just announced.

This isn't cliche.
This isn't trivial.
This is how I acknowledge my status in life
And how I feel about (all of) you.

It is a lucky man indeed,
In this day and age,
Who can elicit any response
From his fellow human beings.

Being that response
Via email, via postal,
Phone call,
Or physical presence.

You have all provided me
With all the aforementioned,
And for that, let me mention,
That I love you, and appreciate you.

So hear ye,
Hear ye,
Hear ye --
Because if you do, then you'll actually hear me.

All that having been said, let me now say this:

UNDERSTANDING is one thing. AGREEING is quite another.
Just because I understand, it doesn't mean I agree.

FORGIVENESS is one thing. FORGETTING is yet another.
I shall do my best to accomplish the former,
but I will not even embark upon attempting the latter.
(I have my Jewish friends to thank for this creed.)

RESPECT for what one has given is one thing.
I ACKNOWLEDGE said respect in this instance.
But RESPECT is a two-way street.
Eventually, if not reciprocated, it vanishes and dies.

That's it.
That's all I have to say.

In regards to my mother,
Whom we are finally laying to rest,

It's all I have to say.

Please don't ask me to understand her,
For I already have.

Please don't ask me to forgive her,
For I already have.

Please don't ask me to respect her,
for I always have.

Most of all, don't ask me to like her,
Because understanding, forgiveness, and respect have nothing to do with affinity.

There.
I've said it.

And I don't care if my metre's off.

It's the truth, plain and simple.
I loved her, understood her, forgave her and respected her.

But I never really much liked her.

3 comments:

PonaRamona said...

Wow, that was powerful, moving and intense, but most of all brave. Thank you for showing your honesty, right down to the bone. Better days lie ahead. Best, Paula

Anonymous said...

The dearest people come into our lives and if we're lucky, remain there for years of laughter and tears. My love for you began in LA and luckily continues now that we're here in NYC. Having helped my mom thru her transition in 2005, I understand conflicted emotions. Initial tears when I revealed being gay turned to years of joy as we honesty shared this world of ALL types. I wish for you peace of mind and heart and know our connection remains long after the physical has withered away. Love you, sir

Chabalym said...

I never knew your mother, and I only know this dimension of you that you share here, yet I feel I know you enough to give you a hug.

:::Hug:::

I hope that didn't sound to internet childish. People need hugs.

gt